How to make the most out of a marketing internship
We have the most amazing marketing internship program, and the biggest benefit for us is the privilege to see people grow in confidence and capabilities. The fact that after an internship they should be able to go out into the world and add value to any entry-based marketing position, is something that we are extremely proud of.
The thing is, some people get a lot out of internships and others just go through the motions. If you have decided to do an marketing internship, then there are some things to consider that will ensure that this internship is something that is going to add value to your career and your life.
Marketing Eye is a dynamic, industry leading marketing consulting firm. We have offices throughout Australia, namely in the big capital cities of Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane, where we take on marketing and graphic design interns. There are many advantages in doing an internship with Marketing Eye:
- You are able to see how a marketing agency works, without getting lost in who does what due to other companies that use freelancers or other agencies to fulfil work commitments. Everything is in-house, and completed by fulltime employees.
- We are at the top of our game, and invest heavily in ensuring that we know the latest in marketing and in technology to produce higher quality, more results orientated work for our clients.
- We are full-service, and that means we do everything from conducting marketing workshops, through to market research, writing marketing strategies and implementing them through digital marketing, advertising, public relations, events, promotions, social media, branding, lead generation campaigns and more.
- The backbone of our business is technology based and therefore we use this platform to accelerate the performance of marketing strategies.
- Marketing Eye has a secret sauce in testing the Robotic Marketer. Watch this space.
When looking at marketing interns, we try to keep it diverse:
- Accepting interns from all over the world, so that they bring something new and interesting to the table, and are able to gain international experience in the process.
- People that have contributed in some way to either their school, community or another company, and therefore are able to compare experiences and get closer to what they like to do and what they don't.
- Different languages, different cultures - we celebrate it all.
What do marketing interns do at Marketing Eye?
- Market research
- Social media content
- Social media campaigns
- Marketing strategies
- Electronic direct mail
- Direct marketing
- Marketing campaigns
To get the most out of a marketing internship, here are some helpful hints:
- Be a self-starter
- Put yourself out of your comfort zone
- Change desks each day so you sit next to a different person
- Book 10 minute catch ups with employees so that you can learn what they do
- Keep the conversation rolling. You need to ensure that they remember you long after you leave.
- Connect with all employees and marketing interns on social media, start liking them and commenting on them.
- When you go to leave your internship, make sure you ask for the senior managers to write a recommendation on LinkedIn.
- Make sure you do things that are CV ready. That means things that can be put on your CV. For instance, if you do a social media campaign and a clients social media following and engagement goes up, work out what percentage that this and put down the campaign as part of your LinkedIn accomplishments.
- Write a blog on LinkedIn about the positive things you got out of your internship. You will have companies knocking at your door!
- Make every day count. Ensure that you understanding the 'why' when you do something, and ask all the relevant questions. Also, ensure that if you start something, always finish it!
Internships can take you from being an intern straight to an executive position. It's happened many times before for interns at Marketing Eye. Why not make sure you are one!!!