5 Ways to have a happy workplace
There are many reasons why people are happy:
- They see the positive in everything they do
- They have emotional intelligence and realise that one challenge isn't going to rock their boat
- Life is going great: they are in the their dream job, have the best family and everything is running smoothly
- They realise that they are happy with their 'lot' in life
- Their family and personal lives are going well
- They have a meaningful job; it could be as a parent, in the workplace or through social change
- They never hold grudges or act out on an emotional feeling of insecurity. They forgive everyone.
- Their health is good and they wake up feeling alive
- Gratitude for what they have
- They give to others without expecting anything in return
- They feel free to work towards achieving their personal and professional goals.
Some people desire more and more, and they suffer from their own mental state when they become discontent about the traction they have on achieving what they desire. Buddha teaches us that to end suffering, we need to change our state of mind, which ultimately means that we can find happiness through living a meaningful life.
A 'quiet mind' helps one notice the beauty of going for a walk, enjoying food as you eat, and connecting more with family and friends.
Positive psychology teaches us that well-being and feeling of contentment comes from experiencing a life that has meaning beyond merely feeling happy.
In the workplace, people come to work for a whole host of reasons. Some to get a paycheck. Others to have the security of getting a paycheck. Then there are those who are on the career path making step to achieve their professional goals, or those who find purpose in what they do at work.
Marketing Eye is an interesting company. Employees have the ability to change lives in so many ways. Firstly, with their clients, they are able to help their clients become more successful by using design and marketing to connect them to their customers. When a client becomes more successful, they start paving the way to hire more people which ultimately helps our unemployed find gainful employment, and they put more into the economy. Hopefully, they become more charitable as well.
When you stay long enough to watch people become successful or reach a new level of success, there is a feeling of satisfaction and purpose in what you do.
Likewise, if you are a team player, together you are able to push people up and help them reach their full potential. Through collaboration, you are able to perform as a team playing to each of your strengths and giving each and every person the ability to believe in themselves and their full potential.
Marketing Eye is also charitable as an organisation and we give a lot to people who need help finding their way. Through The World Incubator, we are abe to give to people in rural areas and help them navigate from having a business idea, through to startup mode, and then commercialisation processes. It is very rewarding.
When you have a number of employees, having a happy workplace may be difficult. You employ different people with a host of different psychological profiles. If you are truly looking for 'happiness' in the workplace and fulfilment of your team, there are things that help you attain it:
- A team that is committed to a happy workplace: everyone needs to want to be happy, and wish that for those around them.
- An emotionally mature team, who understands that sometimes people have bad days, and that is exactly when you should push them up and make sure they know you are there for them.
- Be mindful that every job will have stressful days from time to time - it's how everyone handles stress that defines whether you walk away from the day happy or not.
- Healthy working environments where things like meditation, yoga, walking in the park and eating healthy food is part of the norm.
- Understanding both psychology and the impact of positive psychology. If you understand why people do things, say things and conduct themselves in a certain way, you are more likely to be able to navigate the emotional rollercoaster that some people have through little or no fault of their own. This empathy for their state of mind gives you a sense that by caring about people, and your team, you can together have each other's backs and achieve any goal set in front of you.
We like to do vision boards. It helps people remember what they want in life and why it is important to them to achieve these things. Being happy in the workplace is so important, as is understanding that some days in life are harder than others. If we keep working together and focusing on not just our own happiness, but helping others too, we will find that our 'lot in life' becomes more satisfying.