Living an average life for many of us is not an option. It's certainly not one for me. Every day I want to experience things I have never experienced before. I want to have challenges as much as I have successes, and more than anything I would like people to cross my path that I learn from in some way.
I'm far from perfect. I have been that person who wakes up early only to get to the office as fast as humanly possible, then work as hard as possible all through the daily, barely stopping for any breaks and in fact waiting until the last minute to go to the rest room because I have just one more call to make, then leaving only when my dog has barked as she needs to do her business. So, I take her to the park, go home, shower, eat, read for an hour and go to sleep. I wake up again at 4am and start the cycle all over again.
THIS IS NOT LIVING - AND YOU ARE A LONG TIME DEAD!
Don't get me wrong, I go on holidays and that is the only thing I do well. I don't read emails, check messages or do anything other than be present and in the moment. I trained myself to do this and it is my biggest savour. It is the only reason I stay sane.
THIS APPROACH IS NOT THE RIGHT APPROACH.
If you get to your last half of your life and you are still living life like this, then things must change. You need to evolve, grow, develop, experience, explore and put yourself out of your comfort zone. If work is your hobby, find a new one.
FAMILY IS EVERYTHING.
Yes, we don't choose our family, but there is something really amazing about spending time with family. If you get rid of the noise (nagging), and just sit in silence, you will realise that there is something really amazing about the soulfullness of family.
I know when I go up to my families property, everything else dissepates. It becomes irrelevant and while it takes a few days for me to relax, I soon realize just how different it feels to be with family. No pretense. No watching your P's and Q's, and no having to explain. Instead there is a love that no-one can define, and a relevance to your position within your family.
My Dad's side of the family is incredibly special. They are like visiting another country. They come from Croatia, and we eat traditional croatian meals, and like any big Croatian family, we all sit around and eat, eat, eat. I walk away a few pounds heavier but always feeling loved and like I have a safe place to go when I need time out.
We all have dreams, but if one of them is to be rich... dig a little deeper. What is rich? What does that mean? Is it going to make you happier? Do you know rich people that are truly happy? Will it define you? Will it make you a better person?
We all get busy doing the things we do, but what defines us is how we choose to live our life, and not what anyone else things of it. We might be remembered for various things, but what is most important, is what we have contributed directly to our own lives and that of others.
A few things that I live by when I realise that I have been spending too much time in the office:
- I am more beautiful than an Instagram post
- I have more to contribute than a once off conversation or a public speech
- No amount of money will make me a good person
- There are more people in your life out for themselves, so don't feed that beast
- Kindness is paramount and doesn't cost a cent
- Mean spirited people or people who hold grudges are really unhappy with the person they see in the mirror
- If you harm someone, hurt someone, or are so self-serving that you have forgotten that other people exist - you are not nice
- If you don't know how to truly apologize, learn it and mean it
- Work is play and its a game that should not hurt people, or create disadvantage to others
- If you have a good business, your business will thrive on the fact that you help others achieve their goals
- Being honourable, trustworthy and living your values, allows you to look in the mirror and like who you are
- If you want to change how you look - ask yourself why? Why are you not good enough? Why don't you like who you see in the mirror?
- Travel anywhere and everywhere. Go camping, swim in the ocean, volunteer in an orphanage.
We only have one life and it could be gone tomorrow - make the most of it.
- She runs an international
- marketing consultancy firm
- that provides small businesses with a marketing
- consultant and in-house team of creative, web development and PR experts. Marketing Eye serves small
- businesses looking for marketing support and management in Atlanta,
- New York marketing company
- Sydney marketing consultants
- Melbourne marketing consultants