When we are faced by challenges and adversity, we make a choice, and that defines our next steps. We can either fight on, or quit.
Successful people never quit. They either work harder, find a solution or walk around the problem forging their path ahead.
People who blame others for their lack of success or ability to stay on a given path, quite often find themselves in the same predicament year after year, with a chip on their shoulders – and that is not only sad, but not constructive.
Last week I met through my mentor one of the world’s most remarkable, resilient entrepreneurs. In fact, he is rated the best in the world for 2016. I won’t disclose his name given that I did not ask permission to do so, but there were a number of things that I learned from him that I will take with me for a very long time.
- Sometimes your path takes you into an area you know nothing about, and that is your gift to that business or part of your life. That will be the one thing that makes you stand out and give a different perspective – and may just make you the best in the world because of it.
- Don’t focus on how you were brought up, or whether or not you were poor or were handed the wrong cards. Focus on what you are doing now and what is possible in the future.
- Building a business no matter how big or small it is, is hard work. It requires you to roll up your sleeves and put in the hard yards. If you are not prepared to do that, then don’t complain that someone else beats you to the post.
- Spirituality can take you to another level. That does not necessarily mean religion, but the thought that something out there is driving you to be the person you are, and will grow to be, giving guidance when necessary. Believing in something is important.
- You can turn a small business into a billion-dollar empire. You just have to make sure you are prepared, and not afraid to take risks.
- Avid readers become good listeners, who become people that have the information and tools to do great things. Read a book a week.
- If you are facing bankruptcy, do not give up. Do not take a bigger loan, but instead find a solution. There is always a solution to every problem.
- You don’t have to be born a certain way to be successful.
- The biggest hurdle in your success is yourself. What anyone else says, is never any of your business.
- Build your people up to be the best versions of themselves. If they are not “in” the game, get rid of them fast. They are poison to your purpose.
- Animals, children and environment can all improve your company culture. It will bring you back to what is really important, and cut away all the layers.
Always take that meeting!
- She runs an international
- marketing consultancy firm
- that provides small businesses with a marketing
- consultant and in-house team of creative, web development and PR experts. Marketing Eye serves small
- businesses looking for marketing support and management in Atlanta,
- New York marketing company
- Sydney marketing consultants
- Melbourne marketing consultants