No matter whether you are a politician, motivational speaker or inside sales rep, you need a good script and you need to practice it. A dynamic script will ensure you have every base covered, including lapses of knowledge, any objections you may counter and a deep understanding and awareness of the product.
The importance of the script
You may be sitting in your home office in your underwear, but when that sales call comes through and you have your script ready you could be the most professional person in the world instead of the slob that you know you are.
Most of us wouldn’t be sitting at our desk in our underwear, but hey, whatever floats you boat, it doesn’t matter: you have a script and you know how to use it!
A good script takes the sales out of the sales call. In this day and age most people don’t like to be sold to, they want information and they want you to help them make an informed decision. They want to feel confident that you know what you are talking about.
The trick to a great speech is to write one that doesn’t make you sound like a salesperson, but that can close a sale. Remember, you are more than a salesperson you are a trusted advisor.
Here’s some tips:
1. Write a script that has answers to every conceivable question (you know your business, so you should know what questions are likely to arise).
2. Write a script that helps you overcome any objections a potential client may have. Be ready to counter a negative with a positive.
3. Write a script that makes you sound like an industry expert, not just someone how knows his or her business. Study the industry, know the facts and figures and how you compare to others.
4. Write a script that is easy to recite, that you are not bumbling about with words and sounding like Hugh Grant in a British rom-com. That sort of stumbling about with words may be endearing in a movie, but it doesn’t make for a great sales pitch.
5. Make the language natural. Don’t overreach - you may want to sound professional, but you should also sound natural.
6. Research your market. You need to know what your customers like, what they expect, what they are interested in. Essentially you are qualifying your leads … or stalking them … and that can make for a powerful speech with effective reach.
What to put in your script
Like any written work, it needs a beginning, middle and an end. Here’s the breakdown. Start with an introduction that includes qualifying questions, then move onto your engagement process. This part of the speech let’s your potential client understand who you are and what you can do for them. It will tie in answers to any questions that may arise and it will put you in a position of power should any objections arise. The next part of the script includes way to handle objections. Be nice, but firm. Make a statement and be confident in your ability to sway the argument. If you get all of this right, the final part of the speech – closing the deal – should be a cakewalk.
Keep it natural
It’s the most important take away out of all of this. Don’t just read the script; make it a natural part of your language. People will see right through you if you sound like an automaton. Have a conversation, engage your audience and you will find your results will be far improved.
Jonathan Jackson is an experienced editor and writer who has worked in print and digital media for almost 20 years.
Jonathan has edited titles across a range of industries including sports and lifestyle, health, trade and business and finance. Among these titles are Soccer International, Women’s Fitness and Health, Wealth Creator, Think & Grow Rich, Your Trading Edge and Business First of which he is currently the managing editor.
Jonathan has also written two books: Offside - The Wild Side of Soccer and Australia's Wealth Creators.
He is the Media and Content Manager for Marketing Eye.
Latest from Jonathan Jackson
You can certainly see your skills in the article you write.
The sector hopes for more passionate writers such as you who aren't afraid to say
how they believe. All the time follow your heart.
Great article. I will be dealing with some of these issues at the same time..
Love the site-- really individual pleasant and great deals to see!
I think the admin of this web site is genuinely working hard in favor of his
website, because here every stuff is quality based data.
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.
- I find this really agreeable, this one is a really…
Written by Amy Schneider
on Saturday, 17 February 2018 02:01
The ultimate internal marketing strategy
- This blog clearly stresses the key objectives of working at…
Written by Hari Vaheesan
on Tuesday, 13 February 2018 16:56
5 Ways To Kick Ass Every Day You Work
- I really would like to attempt look at your blog…
Written by Custom essay writing service
on Wednesday, 07 February 2018 19:50
Change your future by acting now
- I know you are good designer, Really helping articles for…
Written by Skin cancer causes
on Wednesday, 07 February 2018 05:00
What new retailers are doing differently
- Thanks you for the article on dresses, Really helpful, I…
Written by Wedding Guest Dresses
on Wednesday, 07 February 2018 04:54
What new retailers are doing differently