How to make your marketing team more successful
When a new marketing team comes on board, or an old one needs to be audited, there are a few things that most transformational leaders do:
- Psychological profiling of the entire marketing team: This is key to understanding the personalities in your team and how they will work alone and together to achieve the goals of the department. It also helps to determine whether an employee is a good fit for your company culture, understands your values and can overall contribute to the successful running of the marketing department.
- Ensure a marketing strategy is in place: If the team has not worked with a marketing plan in place, and are just doing marketing tactics on an ad hoc basis, then there is nothing to measure them by, nor can a leader expect the marketing team to perform at an optimum level.
- Create space and freedom for the entire marketing team: What we think at Marketing Eye is important is to ensure that everyone on your team has an opportunity to spend at least a day a month investigating their creativity, other company campaigns, technologies, branding and in general surfing the net or exploring the art scene in the city or a big event.
- The right technology suite: Technology is more important today than the people in a marketing department. Quite frankly, with technology as it is, an administration staff member could be your inhouse marketing team with other like minded individuals. Making sure that you are using a technology to develop your marketing strategy, like Robotic Marketer takes away the guessing game, and using technologies for everything from email marketing campaigns, marketing automation, customer relationship management, public relations, advertising, search engine optimization, content creation, promotions and customer experience - will not only cut the costs of running a marketing department but it will also ensure that you have a higher return on investment.
Once these key areas are in place, high performing marketing teams 'work it'.
- Have a structured approach to ongoing marketing campaigns
- Talk to the sales department and constantly refine marketing activations
- Live and breathe the company vision and mission
- Take time out to find their creative spark
- Use apps and other technologies that are great hacks to higher performing marketing outcomes
- Set KPI's and performance goals and work together to achieve them.
Working with your marketing team to help them build out a foundation that is success-driven and goals-orientated is imperative to the overall success of a company. It's not hard to be the best, but it does take work and commitment, and being high performing is a choice that everyone needs to make and commit to.