A typical marketing manager has between 10 and 17 clients in which they manage. Often these clients are in different industry sectors, requiring the marketing manager to expand their knowledge and expertise before being able to effectively execute a marketing strategy on a clients behalf.
In agency land, marketers are required to work at an optimum level. Billable hours translates in higher salaries and bigger bonuses. Clients expectations are greater than they are when they employ in-house, so a marketing consultant has the added pressure to be the "best of the best" in everything they do.
Over the years, we have worked out a few tips that are instrumental in ensuring that marketing managers are working to an optimum.
- Use Microsoft Outlook to its fullest capacity: Set rules for client emails to go into client folders. Ensure that all meetings are recorded in your diary. Book your entire week out in advanced and only leave 1 to 2 hours per day free for anything that comes up or takes a little longer than first thought.
- Book client meetings in 60 days in advance at a minimum. If you have regular meetings, place it in their diary and yours for the entire year.
- Don't manually upload social media, unless it is on the fly. Use Hootsuite or an equivalent to upload all social media each week, then forget about it. Only check when you are waiting for a meeting, or going for a walk and want to utilise the time efficiently.
- Check emails only once an hour for 5 minutes and cancel any email popup application. It's distracting and not very efficient.
- Plan your day in 1/2 hour increments. Use the mornings for any task that requires a lot of thought, and the afternoon for tactical application and meetings.
We use technology to power performance. Everything from time management software through to social media, project management, timesheet, CRM, marketing automation, e-marketing, analytics and various other software programs that all work in synergy to achieve efficiencies - are used at Marketing Eye.
We capture the technologies that best suit our people and their ability to adopt the technology as a performance enhancer. Importantly, all technologies must work in synergy, and complement each other providing record keeping and analytics that enhance our ability to make decisions on behalf of clients and ourselves.
Marketing Managers and Marketing Executives require time out, similar to any other creative industry position. They need time to see what others are doing, surf the net, visit art galleries and walk the streets. It's important that as marketing consultants we all give ourselves time to do this, while at the same time ensuring that the company is profitable. A fine line, but an essential one!
One of the perks of working at Marketing Eye in Melbourne, Sydney, Seattle, Dallas, Denver, New York or Atlanta, is the freedom to learn and grow. But this is not possible if the marketing manager or marketing executive is not efficient in the way they manage their work week. It's a catch-22.
- She runs an international
- marketing consultancy firm
- that provides small businesses with a marketing
- consultant and in-house team of creative, web development and PR experts. Marketing Eye serves small
- businesses looking for marketing support and management in Atlanta,
- New York marketing company
- Sydney marketing consultants
- Melbourne marketing consultants