I've been in both places in the business lifecycle and I've realised that both are equally as hard as each other, but there are some things that stand out as being hurdles that need to be overcome or struggles that never seem to go away.
- Growing a business from startup to small business size is especially hard if you haven't done it before and learned the lessons you need to learn. You will find people who do this over and over again seem to get better every single time.
- There is no blue print for a woman owning a business. While I hate to say that women and men are different in business, the reality is mostly they are. They bring different things to the table. I can only go from my own experience, but I find it very hard as a woman, who sometimes gets a tad emotional to always be on my game. As a boss, you have to go to work and be a leader for 8 to 12 hours a day without fault, and without letting your guard down. While men have to do this as well, I find as a woman, we have more emotions at play. We also have to deal with the respect issue. Once again, while this should be all an equal playing field, I do find that at times women and men play a different card just because you are a woman in a place of authority.
- When you are growing a business it's impossible to have all the right skills; the bookkeeper, the CEO, the marketer, the finance person, logistics and so on. Then be good at understanding your product or service with the ability to sell it. Who teaches you this stuff? In my experience, too often the teachers of courses have never actually sat in your shoes and while they give you a good base, it never is enough.
- Finance is always a killer. Managing cashflow and the costs to start a business and continue to grow it.
- While we want to celebrate failure, I don't care who you are, but I am sure you are a little like me and in the back of your mind, you are afraid of failure or letting others down.
- Anxiety over how people react to you, your success, or your position in the world. It's human to feel uncomfortable about the fact that there will be knockers for no reason at all, or some people may quite simply not understand you.
- She runs an international
- marketing consultancy firm
- that provides small businesses with a marketing
- consultant and in-house team of creative, web development and PR experts. Marketing Eye serves small
- businesses looking for marketing support and management in Atlanta,
- New York marketing company
- Sydney marketing consultants
- Melbourne marketing consultants