What is your New Years' Resolutions? Here's mine.
Life has been busy, and at times, a tad too busy, but people like me thrive on it even though at times we may complain.
If you take into account the fact that I am building a house, travelling as if my job was an air hostess and giving as much of my time and money to charity as possible - my life is full. On top of that I have friends and family that I love and adore, that I feel I neglect sometimes.
Business to me is like breathing. I have to do it and love every single moment - the good, the bad and the ugly. I know that by being in business I am learning every single day about people, processes, technology, systems and smarts. I am an avid reader and as I never watch television other than binge watch Suits and Scandal, my time is more skewed to business than life. Some would say that this is not a good work, life balance, but I have tried to work it the other way, and I feel like I am missing out on what is possible.
What business gives me is freedom and choices, challenges and reward. It gives me a sense of accomplishment and provides meaning to my clients, employees and to myself. Each year I look at the year I have just had, and what my plans are for the year to come.
New Years Eve is incredibly special to me. It's a time where I channel what I would like the year ahead of me to bring.
With a white Christmas in Aspen skiing on the slopes providing the perfect setting to say goodbye to 2016, it is 2017 that I am most looking forward to.
My goals for 2017 are:
- Drink more water; I don't drink enough
- Travel to far away places that I have never been
- To spend Passover in Israel with some dear friends - what an amazing experience that will be
- To be educated and share experiences in Mexico with my friends at the Entrepreneurs Organisation
- To finish everything I start
- To build technologies that revolutionise industries and change the game; they are already in process, but to finish this off will be a huge highlight to the year
- Give time to those that I love and adore; sometimes because I know they are there, I neglect them
- To build my house, and give life a base not somewhere that I am tied to
- To keep on this "kindness" trail and keep giving
- To continue to be honest and to hold people to account when they need a reminder that it is not ok to do the wrong thing
- Work less hours, but more productively
- Keep listening and learning
- Change people's life through sharing real experiences, not version of the truth; I speak at a lot of things, and I feel that sometimes speakers are less authentic than they should be
- Keep being an advocate for rural and regional Queensland, and a voice when need be even if it is against those of influence
- Share my story in hope that there are some experiences that others may relate to or learn from
Last year, my word for the year was "kindness". This year it is "purpose with kindness being the base".
I don't want to be skinnier, prettier or change who I am in any way, however, we can always improve the way we do things, or react to situations. We can look at perspectives differently and take on a greater role in helping others rise to the top, achieve their goals and be the person they want to be.
Most importantly, I hope to continue to look in the mirror and like the person I see inside and out knowing that integrity, kindness and a good heart is all that matters at the end of the day. You only live once, make it count.