It's my birthday week and there are a few things I want to share
This year, is not too indifferent to the past except I am in a very good space right now and am incredibly positive about what the future holds.
Perhaps, this year, more so than previously, I am hitting my stride and am not afraid to share that with others.
I've had my time being down in the dumps
I've had my time being down in the dumps about where I am at, which looking back, seems ridiculous even to me. There is no age that defines us, but it certainly gives us
good perspective that we may not have had years beforehand.
Fortunately for me, I am not tarnished by "hating men", or by "not achieving enough". In fact, I love all the men in my life and am especially positive about what the future holds. I live for my job and as ridiculous as that sounds, I am not going to apologise or pretend otherwise.
Going to work each day is exciting
For me, going to work each day is exciting. There really isn't anything I would rather do other than perhaps holiday on a beach, ski a bit more or play golf on a daily basis.
All of these things are open to me, but they somehow take a backseat to what is going on in my mind and that is scaling up the business, being more innovative, starting new businesses and generally speaking taking on the world with an open heart, an active mind and the belief that anything and everything is possible.
I won't ever be caught falling into the trap of believing that anything is different to the above. We own our own experiences and the more we realise that, the better our lives will become.
People will come and go in our lives and that serves a purpose. It helps us learn more about ourselves and what we want in our circle and what we do not.
Life is meant to be celebrated
Life is meant to be celebrated, and shared. Sharing is better than any award or accolade. It is simply the best possible experience that you can have.
I am biding time to finish off a few things. I started up doing a job that I love and in recent years connected with my first bosses who gave me insightst that I never realised. What a privilege it is to have those people not only in my life, but actively rooting for my success and sharing it with others.
Charity makes you a better person
I have a few big things happening and the first is the not-for-profit charity, The World Incubator, hosting the inaugural North Queensland Entrepreneurs Conference. This is such an important event and will be hosted in Townsville with about 600 people from around Australia attending.
The privilege of sharing this day with people who are phenomenal entrepreneurs, many of which have shaped our entrepreneurial culture in Australia or been game-changers worldwide like Jeremy Jauncey from Beautiful Destinations on Instagram.
Jack Cowin, thank you
Jack Cowin of course, is my favourite. He means the world to me. I spent years having him in my quarter as a mentor/friend, who mostly made me nervous in his presence simply because the respect I have for him, his achievements and commitment to family, is more than I have ever had for any other person. He is blessed with business acumen and knows how to find the right person for the right job. He also comes supported by a beautiful, kind wife and children that have great personalities and a sense of who they are.
His advice to me over the years has been kind, and also brutal in giving me some real life truths. I have seen people be jealous of this mentorship, but I get it, he is the pick of the nation and it is fortutious that somehow I was able to connect with him and his mates and they all have become these amazing go-to-people when I have a problem. The jealousy has hurt, but at the same time, we are not dealing with idiots so try as you may to say something not kind about me, and they always sit there thinking about why a person would say that to them as they are never close nor in a position to share such maliciousness. Trust is the cornerstone of friendships. If you don't trust, move that friend away from your circle.
People will betray you
When people betray you, be kind, forgive but keep your distance. All great things to know in hindsight, but as relevant today as it was in my 20's.
What I have learned though is the more you stay under the radar, the less people talk about you so if you don't go to the opening of an envelope, and miss a few parties and gatherings, there is less to say and those people will always find another target.
I use to stand up to them... now I realise that it won't change the fact they are who they are. They have to learn in their own time.
Hindsight is a beautiful thing.
This year is going to be mammoth. I feel the sun shining, the world turning, and my feet ready for movement in any direction that I choose to take. Things are taking shape, and there are a lot of changes that are happening, so I am thrilled to be part of a moving centrepiece that just may stop exactly where I want it to.
Being 43 on Sunday means:
- I can still look in the mirror knowing that I am happy with the person I am
- I may wear dresses a little longer, and shorts too, but I am not about to start dressing like a middle age woman
- Fun is on the agenda, and I will be more agile to accepting interesting invitations
- There is no time like now, so if I want something, I am going to have it. Life is short
- I won't regret a single thing - regardless of the outcome
- Kindness will continue to be my motto. Being kinder to those who don't expect it, and the one's that deserve it most is important.
- There will be changes, and a few surprises and I am ready more than ever before to make that happen, and take the next step - watch this space
- A new home is a base, for me to explore more about the world I live in
- Travel: Tel Aviv, Africa and Sweden is on the agenda along with my usual places; France, Italy, Greece, Germany, Switzerland, United States, Asia.
- A new range of clothing is in store --- passion project that I don't care about whether it makes money or not --- just that I am doing something small that I have always wanted to do.
- Love: It's inside me. That is all that counts.
- Limitless: Own it, believe in it and become it. There is no obstacle that I cannot overcome. Trust me.
- Time: I've got the rest of my life in front of me and now is the time to cherish those people that mean something special.
So, it's happy birthday to me. I am going to smile all week and not let a single thing get me down, or change this positive, glowing attitude that I own.