How inside sales can make your business explode
With an office move in Melbourne to a larger space, finally, the time had come and an opportune meeting with an American Inside Sales Specialist ensured that Marketing Eye Melbourne had their very first person in this position on board.
We have tried Business Development Managers before with no success. One last year, failed miserably, not because of their own skills in sales, it just wasn't a good fit as they were too junior in their approach to deal with the type of clientele Marketing Eye works with.
As I write that, I realise that it is quite ironic that our Inside Sales Executive is only 22 years of age, but has an Economics and Marketing Degree coupled with a sassy attitude and ambition. She has taken to the role like a duck to water and within days of starting had her first client under her belt.
One month on, she has $150,000 in her trolley and another $250,000 in her pipeline.
What was interesting about her approach is:
• #22yrold is a self-starter and doesn't wait for instruction, instead getting on with the job at hand
• #22yrold is ambitious and won't stop until she has achieved her goals
• #22yrold believes in the brand and loves everything we do
• #22yrold has desires to be in senior management and wants to fast track her route to the "C" Suite.
• #22yrold is passionate about marketing, design and delivery
• #22yrold knows how to close a deal
• #22yrold works hard; starts early and finishes on-time
• #22yrold does whatever it takes to do a good job and be ethical in her approach to doing business
Of course our internal accountant couldn't be happier. Contracts are not only signed, they are paid upfront. She also is part of the onboarding process with new clients and her infectious personality is great for our brand and the communications we have with clients and prospects alike.
She has done everything we asked and more. Her job was not to get a sale in month one - but she did and that gave her the hunger to get more. We have suggested to her that she hire another Inside Sales Executive and train them, taking responsibility for their performance and benefiting from a team approach. At the same time, it frees her up to work on the client side and take the onboarding process further.
Eventually, when she does have enough experience she will be able to work on her own clients but by then hopefully we will have a mini #22yrold on the team, who has the same will and determination as she does.