My first piece advice was simple: have a plan with an end goal. Take the time to write a business plan and marketing plan, before you take the leap. If you don't, you might find your first few months in procrastination mode wondering whether your strategy is right or second guessing everything you are doing while at the same time working through conflicting pieces of advice from a bunch of 'experts'.
The second piece of advice and what I feel is very valuable is putting the strategy into a project management software. We use Asana, but there are so many out there to choose from, that there is no 'right' software to use. Within the software, work out how long it would take to do things, and make sure you have a due date on every task.
Now you can start DOING.
This is the most exciting part. In 'doing' you will accomplish important tactical elements of starting a business and also find out what challenges may lay ahead. Remember to not expect perfection or that everything will be 100 percent, because this is one of the biggest issues companies face with getting their idea or business off the ground. Accepting 80 percent is generally the rule of thumb that works wonders.
Traits that are evident in many entrepreneurs:
- Risk takers, deal makers
- Tenacity to get you through the toughest times
- Unparalleled drive
- Unrelenting pursuit of success
- Knowledge that entrepreneurship is brutal and just when you think everything is smooth sailing, something else pulls at you for all of your attention
- They know that there is risk; money, reputation, honour, standing - but the upside is that if you can achieve your goal, you will never have to work a day in your life
- Be ready to at times 'bet everything on a roll of the dice'
- Passion, determination and an ability to roll with it
Entrepreneurship is one of the most exciting journeys anyone can go on - but it isn't for the faint hearted. You have to believe in yourself and be prepared to have some people around you that think that you may not make it. Prove them wrong, and stay on the path. This in itself will be one of your biggest rewards.
- She runs an international
- marketing consultancy firm
- that provides small businesses with a marketing
- consultant and in-house team of creative, web development and PR experts. Marketing Eye serves small
- businesses looking for marketing support and management in Atlanta,
- New York marketing company
- Sydney marketing consultants
- Melbourne marketing consultants