How do you help your husband be more successful?
The first thing is that your husband needs to be want to be more successful. If he is happy working a 9 to 5 job, coming home and watching television, then you have a bigger job at hand - but it is possible. If your husband is unmotivated, lacking the desire to be more successful and is happy with his status quo, have a chat with him about what is it that makes him happy. If he is unmotivated, he may be suffering from a mental health issue or simply he may lack direction and purpose.
Help your husband be more successfulBy asking some simple questions of your husband, you may find out what is holding him back. Ask him:
- What are your dreams? When you were young, where did you see yourself at the age you are now?
- What are your priorities? Outline what his personal priorities are if he didn't have you, then what are his priorities as a couple and lastly, if you have children, what is his priorities as a family man?
- Do you share joint goals? Are you doing your part? Is he doing his part? If you are both not doing your part, make a pact to get back on track.
Then ensure that you offer encouragement to help him set in place a direction, write a 'to do list', give him space to think, be interested in what he is doing without being pushy, and pick your fights wisely. You don't want to demotivate him.
Once you have ascertained that he does want to be successful, or if he is well on his way, there are 10 things that you can do that will help him thrive.
- Learn to listen: By listening to everything he says and allowing him to get it off his chest, you are ensuring that he has a safe place to vent. When he is at work he is less likely to react to others and more equipped to deal with situations.
- Look at different perspectives: It important to not just see things from his perspective but also other people's perspectives that he may be doing business with or working alongside. Without making it blatantly obvious, give subtle hints as to how others may feel or react.
- Don't say "I told you so": When he does something that you have advised him not to, don't pull out the "I told you so" card. He already knows what you told him and already feels like a fool.
- Coach him: Read books about coaching and motivating people and use these pearls of wisdom on your loved one. Believe it or not, these tips work wonders for getting people all psyched up to reach their full potential.
- Ensure that you have everything on the home front sorted: Many successful people have certain personality types and most A Type personalities require a clean home, with everything in order. I know this is old school and you don't need to be the one to clean, but you need to ensure that his environment at home is conducive to success.
- Healthy living: It's true that the most successful people often are the healthiest. They eat food that is good for their bodies and mind.
- Vitamins: Ensure that he takes his vitamins each day so that he has the bounce in his day that is needed to keep his health at a level of peak performance. You don't want him getting tired at work or grumpy.
- Good nights sleep: We all need a solid 6 to 8 hours sleep a night. Make sure his bed is comfortable, and that the sheets are always crisp and clean. The latter is renown for making a big difference in people's sleeping and crisp sheets also make people feel successful.
- Be the hostess with the mostest: Don't gossip or engage in anything negative. When your husband has a work function, study who you will meet and what they are interested in. Be the person who complements your partner and together be the dynamic duo that is ready to take on the world.
- Read up on successful people and share your new found wisdom with your loved one.
We all have choices in life and if your choice is to have a successful partner, help him every step of the way. At the same time, you may find that your own interest is success is being rejuvenated.