How to start the new year strong : Business
It's a catastrophe in the making. Already you have eaten one extra scoop of ice-cream that you really did not need, and the vino - well, it was just there and it had to be drunk.
New Years Resolutions are renown for being thrown in the bin and rightfully so, because few of us really commit to them for longer than a day or two. In fact, statistics show that New Years Resolutions are not kept with only 8% of people keeping them past the first few days according to Times Magazine.
When you try and tie a behavioral change to a specific date, you tend to rob yourself of an opportunity to fail and recover and many who believe that they will change, and fail, tend to believe that they have to wait another year to try again. It's a weird psyche that many of us share.
This year is my year. I am dedicating it to achieving everything I ever dreamt of and more. There is no second place and certainly no throwing in the towel. Instead, I am committed like never before to achieving all of my goals and ensuring that I live life to the fullest encapsulating all my dreams in one forward movement into the future.
I am not getting any younger - and neither are you may I add, so there is no time like the present to get off my fairly ample bottom and put those trainers on with that Nike exercise outfit that has been gaining cobwebs and start the race on high speed with milestones every day of the year, that need to be met.
Personally, I am in the best spirits for 2014. I almost want to pat myself on the back for staying in on New Years Eve rather than getting amongst it and celebrating the way I could have with people that mean the world to me. I actually took time out just for me and no other reason. I sacrificed everything just to start the new year totally unaffected by anything other than a positive attitude and a gut instinct that said that this was the way I needed to enter 2014.
It's the second day and here are a few tips for those starting work on Monday:
- Clean off the cobwebs - they should not be there in the first place
- Make sure you are organized for Monday, with every single thing in your life in order
- Write down your goals, dreams and ensure that you have finalized that business plan
- Share your goals, dreams and business plan with people who will be instrumental in helping you execute it
- Stop procrastinating - and every single time you feel yourself slipping back into this zone, get up, shake it off and jump up and down (it works, I promise)
- Write a one page letter to all of your staff explaining what role they will be playing in the business this year and how they too can benefit from working towards the businesses goals
- Ring the people that matter and let them know how much you care about them and respect their role in your life
- And live a little… whatever that may mean to you and your life - just do it!