20 things I wanted to know about small business… but didn’t
- That its hard work… bloody hard work
- That nothing goes to plan, no matter how well you plan it out in your head or on paper
- That the people you employ… are everything to the business
- There is no such thing as fair play
- That the best ideas often go unrealised because they aren’t executed right
- There isn’t enough time in the day
- Accounts don’t belong to the the accounts department… it belongs to everyone
- Technology is the best investment you can ever have after your people
- Suppliers need to be recommended, not found in Yellow Pages
- Marketing your company is not what it used to be… there are so many platforms, that you need advice – even if you are in marketing
- Cashflow is king… without it you die!
- Every business needs a client care program from day 1
- Don’t promise if you can’t deliver
- There is no-one to share your pain when things aren’t going right
- You have to be a jack-of-all-trades
- You have to smile even when you feel like crying/screaming/or tearing your hair out
- Having a bad day – forget it – not only is there no sympathy, there is no tolerance
- No-one teaches you how to communicate via text/email – so your mistakes end up being your number 1 training program… take notes
- Expansions means travel and travel means sitting on planes for hours and hours wasting time. You need to have a backup plan each and everytime you hop on a plane
- Its the most exciting, rewarding career you could ever have imagined.
THINKING ABOUT HAVING A MARKETING EYE IN YOUR BUSINESS? Marketing Eye Sydney is giving all new clients a FREE ipad for the month of February if you sign before 5pm on 28th February 2011. What that means is at meetings we can run through marketing campaigns together and in sync… now isn’t that cool!
Marketing Eye is Australia’s leading small business marketing consultancy firm, managing the marketing needs of hundreds of businesses around the country. With experienced Marketing Managers able to run your entire marketing needs and a support team of branding experts, PR’s and online marketers, your brand will grow exponentially. www.marketingeye.com.au