What we can all learn from Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt
With the announcement of their divorce just 24 hours ago, the internet has gone into meltdown. What should be a private matter, is of course, a media circus, and blame is being placed every which way.
If I look at this couple, I think there is a few things each of us can learn:
- The fairytale sometimes doesn't last and the reasons why can only be determined by those in the relationship. I personally don't believe that there is any synergy with when a fairytale ends in one person's life, to another person. Sometimes it does last forever. Othertimes, it does not.
- Couples can make each other a better person. The power of two. As we have watched Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt over the years, we all can be assured that they have grown into "good, charitable, kind people". No matter which way you put it; the couple give a third of what they earn to charity. Brad Pitt didn't do this before he met Angelina Jolie. And Angelina has spent the past 12 years elevating the profile of causes that need to be addressed, and without someone at home that supports this move, it would be hard to do at the level she has done. He has been her rock and given her confidence beyond belief based on a foundation of love and respect.
- The rainbow family is not only very accepted but is 'on-trend'. That sounds callous I know to mention this in that way, but it's such a good thing to see and I am sure that it has motivated many people to look at orphanges as places to adopt children. They have both shed the spotlight on many countries previously ignored, and brought to the forefront a bunch of topics that were perhaps taboo to speak about.
- With breast cancer and ovarian cancer being a major issue for women, Angelina Jolie showed us that no matter how beautiful you are, or how rich you are, you too can get cancer. She also dealt with it thinking about the best interest of her family, not just herself. Her husband not only stood beside her, he also empowered her to get through this awful ordeal knowing that he had her back and was by her side.
- Every relationship has challenges. Once again, just because you are rich and beautiful, doesn't mean you will have a perfect relationship. All relationships take work, understanding, forgiveness, kindness and a bit of knowledge in psychology. Sometimes someone lashes out at you, and it's because what they are going through, not what you have done.
- Strong, powerful women have a voice, and when you use that voice for a good cause, it has a rippling effect. You can change the world. I'm sure many women have seen the work that Angelina Jolie has done and have wanted to be a better person themselves because of it. I know I have. Between her, Mother Theresa and Princess Di, our worldly role models have paved a way.
- Brad Pitt is good looking, smart, creative, thoughtful, charitable and fun. He married his partner in crime - the perfect equal. Yes, it may not have worked out (the divorce papers are not signed yet mind you), but that doesn't change the facts.
- Some people are just horrible people. Chelsea Handler's comments after the divorce was announced shows a mean spirited person, and if Jennifer Aniston is her best friend, then it tells you something about Jennifer as well. I wouldn't be friends with someone so mean and bitchy. If Jennifer keeps wondering why her name keeps coming up, than you might want to have a word with your best friend who seems intent of being defamatory against a woman that has done ten times more for the world we live in than either of these women. Yes, Jennifer Aniston isn't giving up a good percentage of her time to promote good causes, break down barriers of hatred and discrimination, and a third of her income.
- When a woman has had enough, she has had enough. I hope he can find a way to break down that wall that has gone up, and save this marriage. It shows the true character of both parties if they are able to navigate this, and save what looked from the outside as a great love story.
- Children are everything and putting them first every single time, is a sacrifice that many parents need to take more seriously when they decide to have children. There are of course deal breakers - and that is infidelity, voilence and drugs.
- A woman wearing a man's shirt is sexy. Think Angelina Jolie in Mr and Mrs Smith. There is a reason why most men would like to see their woman in their shirts.
This blog is about marketing, entrepreneurship and life. I wrote this today, because it is a reminder that bad things happen to good people. Things can go wrong. We can regret some decisions we make. Anger does things to people that perhaps they may later regret. No matter how beautiful you are or how much money you have, you still have many of the same issues with love and family that people with less money have.