I note, I know of some of the most successful people in the world business wise that hang out with drug dealers, jailbirds and alike - and it doesn't exactly harm, but puts another perspective on that person. Then you have people like your Donald Trumps or Shane Warne's of this world, and as long as they are not looking for respect, their behaviours certainly keep them top of mind.
I read this morning how it is believed that Kim Kardashians mother actually leaked her sex tape. Will it harm their brand? Not particularly, as everybody already knew it was an inside job to become famous and it worked. Being a porn star clearly works for many, but doesn't necessarily earn you respect.
Those who know me well, know that I am a hard worker. I am dedicated to building a business, and creating jobs in Charters Towers and that has become my life.
I am also the "mad dog lady" who travels everywhere with a pooch. But that's another story.
What is important to me as a business person is that I am respected for my own accomplishments and that someone else's tarnished brand doesn't influence how people perceive me in business.
In life, I am mindful not to be around people that don't hold the same values as I do; drug dealers, regular users, women who chase men with money, dishonest people, business scum (those who build successful companies then rape it of its money and places the assets into another without paying staff and suppliers) and in general those without morals who chase the dollar without caring about the people they step on to get to where they hope to be.
I know good people, who actually turn a blind eye to all of this, and I often wonder why. Sometimes they are just looking to be liked. Other times, perhaps they are not what they seem and only time tells.
I thought long and hard about this blog and I realised that the people who I respect and who I want brand association with are those that make difference, are entrepreneurial without playing dirty, are kind and gentle, thoughtful and honest. The latter is key to everything that I do. I find it hard to be around dishonest people, and bite my tongue.
Some people go around trying to tarnish people's brands, but usually an intelligent person sees straight through that. They realise that this person is trying to manipulate and if they say that about a certain person, they are likely to say it about you. They want influence and the way they view their personal currency is to ensure that "everyone likes them and trusts them" and that they influence how you think about others.
Your personal brand is important and managing it is critical. Be aware if you want to be taken seriously in business, don't:
- Say a bad word about anyone
- Inspire people, don't put them down
- Stay away from drugs and excess alcohol consumption
- Don't hang with the wrong crowd
- Be authentic, kind and generous
- If you are competitive, be careful how you communicate and act upon this
- Always be fair and bank on your brains and capacity to do a good job.
- She runs an international
- marketing consultancy firm
- that provides small businesses with a marketing
- consultant and in-house team of creative, web development and PR experts. Marketing Eye serves small
- businesses looking for marketing support and management in Atlanta,
- New York marketing company
- Sydney marketing consultants
- Melbourne marketing consultants