How the new marketing manager can be more successful
Marketing managers today have no excuse. Everything you need to know is online and available just by surfing the net. If you want to know how to write a strategy, it's there. If you want to know how to write a press release, it's there. If you need to know how to put together a social media calendar, it's there.
Nearly everything you can imagine to do with marketing can be found online.
What you don't know, is that even the way you should act, lead, meet and respond is also online.
If you are a careered marketing manager, work in consultancy or want to own your own marketing firm one day, there are a number of things that you should start practising to be more successful.
1. Read: Find the time to spend an hour a day reading about marketing, entrepreneurs, psychology and consumer behaviour. The more knowledge you have, the more you have to draw on when developing strategies, communicating with stakeholders and talking the talk.
2. Dress the part: To be a marketing manager you don't need to be trendy, or dress a certain way. Your own style as long as it is well presented is fine. What you do need to do though is be well groomed. Don't go to important meetings bare faced (if you are a girl), or with an unironed shirt. What these things tell about you to your audience is more than you will ever know.
3. If you are not good at something, work on it: Don't just pass it onto someone else or worse, not include it in a marketing strategy that you are writing for a client or the business you work in.
4. Write detailed emails: You are not in PR so don't write fluffy emails. Write professional emails that clearly outline what you are trying to communicate.
5. Always follow up regardless of how busy you are.
6. Be strategic about everything; your job, the business and how you tackle life.
7. Show leadership skills in everything you do. Train those around you and nurture their growth.
8. Let your work and performance do the talking. You will never need to say a word about how good you are or what you have achieved if you are doing your job well.
Today's marketing manager has so many advantages over their older counterparts. The ability to gain knowledge and learn from other's experiences ensure that no marketing campaign is done without understanding the full paradigm in which it is being presented.
MARKETING EYE MELBOURNE HAS A POSITION FOR A MARKETING MANAGER, STARTING IMMEDIATELY.