Then of course, when I hit the road running back in the office, things didn't get much better. The whole sediment for 2012 had been ruined. Completely trashed, stomped upon and buried so that the hole became so deep, it would be hard for even the hardiest of achievers to get themselves out.
If January wasn't what you expected, pretend that the start to the new year is in February. I know that I am going to.
Dust off your jacket, put a big smile on your face and take on the world and your business endeavours with all the gusto you can muster. Perhaps have your own celebration with the most special people in your life.
Some great tips to starting fresh in February 2012 are:
1. Write a personal and business plan that is for 11 months - not 12.
2. Think positively. Forget about anything that has happened in January that has your start to the year in a position that isn't ideal and pretend it didn't happen. Smile all day long, think happy thoughts, surround yourself with happy people, and get rid of anyone or anything that is not working in your life.
3. Start communicating. Talk to clients, prospects, suppliers and your team. Tell them what you are thinking about where your small business should be heading and how you intend on getting it there.
4. Start a blog. It's great therapy and a huge motivator.
5. Listen. It's an art that most successful people have. They listen to what others say. They don't talk over people and they engage at a level that makes them memorable.
6. Be thoughtful. I am sure this is my 2012 word. I am surrounded by thoughtful people and people that are not thoughtful make me feel sad that their own selfishness may be in fact ruining their chances of success.
7. Use your brain. If it's not working the way you would like it to work, think long and hard on what is the best solution for your business.
8. Collaborate. Two heads are better than one. 10 heads is extraordinary. If you can collaborate, then set some ground rules and make it happen.
9. Read books from people you aspire to be like. You never know what 'pearlers' of information may click with your psyche and change your state of mind.
10. Be kind to every single person that touches your life, whether its for a brief moment or for a lifetime.
11. Have a fresh start. Get rid of things and people that are not going to be in your future. Start afresh and invest time in people that count and who mean something to you whether it is in business or in life.
- She runs an international
- marketing consultancy firm
- that provides small businesses with a marketing
- consultant and in-house team of creative, web development and PR experts. Marketing Eye serves small
- businesses looking for marketing support and management in Atlanta,
- New York marketing company
- Sydney marketing consultants
- Melbourne marketing consultants